Friday, April 8, 2011


Rock Fort-Trichy

      The Triruchirapalli lies 320 Kilo meters to the South of Chennai, on the banks of the Cauvery. The City is dominated by the Rock Fort, perched on a massive rock that soars 83 meters upwards form the flat surrounding plains.

The present fort was build by the Nayaks of Madurai and was the scene of Carnatric battle as late as the 18th century. However, there has been a fort on the Trichirapalli rock from before the Christian era. Some of the cave inscriptions here, date from the reign of Mahendra Varma I (600 to 630 AD).
Triruchirapalli has bustling bazaars and is a good place to buy cigars, hand-woven fabrics, sarees, lungis, brassware and other handicrafts.

The view from the fort is spectacular. The Vinayaka temple at the top is reached by climbing 437 steps cut into a tunnel in the rock. Halfway up is the Sri Thay umanaswamy Temple, dedicated to Lord Siva. It has 4 100 pillar hall and a Vimana Covered in gold leaf.
On the southern face of the rock are several beautifully carved rock-cut cave temple of the Pallava Period over 1300 years old.

The temple here has a Siva Lingam almost submerged in water, which flows from a subterranean spring in the sanctum. His name Jambukeswarar is derived from a legend that an elephant once worshipped him under the holy Jambu tree.

The Ranganathaswamy Temple is the nucleus of the temple town of Srirangam, 10 kms away form Trichirapalli. The town and the temple are set on a 250 hectare island in the Cauvery, connected to the mainland by a bridge. The 13th century temple has 21 towered entrances (Gopurams) and is surrounded by seven concentric walls, within which the town is located. The temple complex is very well preserved and has beautiful carvings and painted walls and ceilings. The temple is open from 6.15 am to 1.00 pm and from 3.30 to 8.45 pm.

MUKKOMBU (Upper Anicut):
18 kms from Triruchirapalli, where the river Kollidam branches off from the Cauvery, is another picnic spot with lush greenery and a park.

An irrigation dam built across the Cauvery by KARIKALA CHOLAN in the second century AD. This picnic spot is 24 kms from Triruchirapalli.

8 Kms from Triruchirapalli, there is a Small Lord Murugan temple set in the midst of lush green vegetation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.


Subscribe to aggregators

Powered by



tour and travels information Tours and Travels information  world wide Text Backlink Exchanges The Mass Auto DDL Submitter Automatic Backlink Exchange C-Backlink Backlink-Gratis Free 1000 Backlinks Eblogger Tricks Blogs lists and reviews Top Traveling Sites free web site traffic and promotion Blog Directory USA Directory

Blog Submission Blog Site List
Promote Your Blog
Blog Community & Blogs Directory
Blog List Blog Widgets Alessandra

Vacation, Travel & Adventure Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory Internet Marketing
Free advertising & marketing site at - Submit & add url & exchange text links + increase traffic & improve page rank!

Free advertising & marketing site at - Submit & add url & exchange text links + increase traffic & improve page rank!

poonsarel tours and travels infromation guide